Home News Business

IRS tax tips: Work for yourself?

Own your own business? The IRS offers some tips at tax time.

Blue Mountain Eagle

Published on March 26, 2014 1:15PM

The IRS offers six tips for independent contractors and people who run their own businesses, regarding their federal tax forms.

The tips:

• Self-employment income can include income you received for part-time work. This is in addition to income from your regular job.

• You must file a Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business, or Schedule C-EZ, Net Profit from Business, with your Form 1040.

• You may have to pay self-employment tax as well as income tax if you made a profit. Self-employment tax includes Social Security and Medicare taxes. Use Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax, to figure the tax. Make sure to file the schedule with your tax return.

• You may need to make estimated tax payments. People typically make these payments on income that is not subject to withholding. You may be charged a penalty if you do not pay enough taxes throughout the year.

• You can deduct some expenses you paid to run your trade or business. You can deduct most business expenses in full, but some must be “capitalized.” This means you can deduct a portion of the expense each year over a period of years.

You can deduct business costs only if they are both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your industry. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and proper for your trade or business.

For more information and federal tax forms, visit the Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center on IRS.gov; call 800-TAX-FORM 800-829-3676; or contact your tax preparer.


Share and Discuss


User Comments