Arrests and citations in the Blue Mountain Eagle are taken from the logs of law enforcement agencies. Every effort is made to report the court disposition of arrest cases.
Grant County Circuit Court
• Travis Freniere, 30, was convicted of unauthorized use of a vehicle and sentenced to 20 months in state prison and required to pay $4,959 in restitution.
• Jessica Anne Shawn-Thomas, 33, was convicted of fourth-degree assault and sentenced to 18 months probation and 40 hours community service and fined $175.
• Hope Iurea Uptegrove, 58, was convicted of driving under the influence of intoxicants and sentenced to 18 months probation and 80 hours of community service and fined $195.
• John Robert Dunn was cited for a probation violation and sentenced to seven days in jail and revoked probation.
• Michael Dean Gibson was found guilty of harassment and issued a suspended sentence of 18 months probation and 10 days in jail and fined $100.
Oregon State Police
• March 24: Detained 26-year-old Ethan Taylor Thomas after responding with John Day police to a report of a probation violation. Thomas was visibly intoxicated and had marijuana in his possession. He was transferred to parole and probation.
Grant County Sheriff
The Grant County Sheriff’s Office reported the following for the week of March 16-22:
• Concealed handgun licenses: 9
• Average inmates: 10
• Bookings: 11
• Releases: 9
• Citations: 1
• Fingerprints: 4
• Civil papers: 15
• Warrants processed: 5
• Asst./welfare check:3
• Keith Benjamin, 36, Canyon City was cited for driving while suspended and driving uninsured.
The Grant County Justice Court reported the following fines and judgments:
• Careless driving — no accident: Eusebio Arroyo-Gonzalez, 51, Lake Worth, Florida, Dec. 26, fined $260.
• Failure to drive within lane: Doyle Dewaine Staples, 93, Seneca, March 10, fined $220.
• Driving Uninsured: Christopher Jo Keith, 36, Canyon City, March 8, fined $220; Christopher Jo Keith, 36, Canyon City, Dec. 30, fined $220.
• Driving while suspended: Christopher Jo Keith, 36, Canyon City, March 8, fined $370; Christopher Jo Keith, 36, Canyon City, Dec. 30, fined $370.
• No Sno Park permit: Marty John Holmstrom, 55, John Day, Feb. 25, fined $30.
• Exceeding speed limit: Cody Josiah Winn, 48, John Day, Feb. 24, 35/25 zone, fined $110; Daniel Lewis Perry, 56, West Linn, March 1, 43/30 zone, fined $135; Todd Malcom Winegar, 39, Prairie City, March 8, 65/55 zone, fined $135; Jeannie Atheda McCarthy, 18, Prairie City, March 13, fined $135.
• Off-road vehicle on the highway: Michael R. Robertson, 48, Sandy, Feb. 25, fined $220.
• Failure to properly use safety belt: Todd Malcom Winegar, 39, Prairie City, March 8, fined $135.
• Violation of the speed limit: Dawn Michelle Hamsher, 47, Mt. Vernon, March 6, 42/25 zone, fined $135.
• Violation of the basic rule: Alexsandr S. Tverdokhleb, 22, Richland, Washington, Feb. 20, 65/55 zone, fined $110; David Thorf Morris, 64, Mt. Vernon, March 15, 75/55 zone, fined $135; John Dawson Swaggart, 50, Echo, March 16, 75/55 zone, fined $135; Levi John Lawrence, 29, Vale, March 10, 75/55 zone, fined $135; Mathew D. McKenzie, 33, Portland, March 11, 79/65 zone, fined $160.
• Jake Omar Cavayotti was found guilty of reckless driving and violation of the speed limit and fined $520.
• Fox Farrell was found guilty of a wildlife violation and fined $560.
• Ernest A. Chavira was found guilty of driving while suspended and sentenced to 12 months probation and 48, hours in jail and fined $600.
John Day dispatch worked 134 calls during the week of March 20-26. Along with the various traffic warnings, trespassing, injured animals, noise complaints and juvenile complaints, these calls included:
John Day Police Department
March 20: Dispatched to a report of a dog bite. Took a report of harassment in Prairie City.
March 21: Issued a warning for allowing a dog as a nuisance. Arrested a 49-year-old on a Grant County warrant. Dispatched to a report of child abuse.
March 22: Responded to a report of a hit and run at the post office. Responded to a report of suspicious activity at the skate park.
March 24: Received a report of a theft in Prairie City.
March 25: A caller reported someone had smashed his windshield and mirror. Cited a 34-year-old John Day resident for criminal mischief.
Grant County Sheriff’s Office
March 20: Responded to a report of a burglary alarm.
March 23: Dispatched to a report of suspicious activity at the church in Dayville.
March 24: Received a report of a person on probation drinking and using marijuana and took the person to Grant County corrections.
John Day ambulance
March 25: Dispatched for a subject with burns on his hands and face.