Home News Local News

Harvesting over a gallon of mushrooms requires permit

Commercial permits cost $2 per day with a 10-day minimum, or $100 for the year.

Blue Mountain Eagle

Published on May 11, 2017 4:19PM

A morel mushroom.

Contributed photo/U.S. Forest Service

A morel mushroom.

Mushrooms are pushing up through the soil, but harvesters should be aware of regulations.

A permit is not required to harvest, possess or transport less than one gallon in Oregon, according to a Forest Service press release. These free-use mushrooms are for personal consumption and cannot be sold, bartered or given away.

A commercial permit is required for people 18 or older for more than one gallon. Commercial picking is prohibited in wilderness areas. An Industrial Camping Permit is required if commercial mushroom harvesters and buyers plan to camp overnight on National Forest System lands, which can only be obtained at the local ranger district office on the forest being harvested. Commercial mushroom harvesters and buyers are prohibited from camping in developed campgrounds.

Commercial permits cost $2 per day with a 10-day minimum, or $100 for the year. A buyer’s permit costs $600 plus administrative costs.

Check with ranger districts to determine if temporary road and area closures are still in effect in last year’s wildfire areas.

Proper identification and determination of whether a mushroom is edible is the responsibility of the picker. Many forest mushroom varieties are poisonous.


Share and Discuss


User Comments