Officers are waiting on lab results to determine whether takeout food from a local business was contaminated with THC, the psychoactive chemical in marijuana.
John Day Police Officer Mike Durr said he has frozen a sample of the food item to send to the Oregon State Police Crime Lab, but he cannot send the item until Monday to ensure it does not thaw over the weekend when no one is available to receive the mail.
Until he receives the lab results back, he said he would not know for certain whether the food item contained THC. He said no other incidents have been reported.
“While I think it’s probably an isolated incident, I want people to be aware,” he said. “If it looks like your food has been tampered with, don’t eat it.”
Durr said he has been working with the business, which has removed any items that may have been involved. He said he would not disclose the name of the business because he was not certain its food was contaminated. He said he believed food from the business was safe to consume.
“I’d go back to the establishment and I’d order the same thing that those people ate, and I would feel safe doing it,” he said.
Durr began investigating the incident after a 911 caller requested an ambulance for possible food poisoning at about 12:45 a.m. June 15. At least two patients were transported to Blue Mountain Hospital, where it was determined a THC substance was unknowingly ingested, Durr said.
The patients reported being dizzy and “not feeling right,” he said. Others who did not eat the food that was possibly contaminated did not get sick, he said, which is why it was indicated as a possible source.
The patients were not affiliated with the Rainbow Family gathering, Durr said, and nothing indicates the incident was related to the gathering.
Durr said people should not panic but should inspect food before consuming it.
“If you see the label on your food has been tampered with, take it back to the store,” he said.