Home News Local News

Emry sentenced to 30 months for unregistered .50-caliber

Emry had been residing at the Grant County Fairgrounds and RV Park and was arrested by FBI agents in May 2016.

By Sean Hart

Blue Mountain Eagle

Published on July 26, 2017 11:59AM

Michael Emry

Michael Emry

The man arrested in John Day with an unregistered fully automatic .50-caliber machine gun will serve 30 months in federal prison.

Today, U.S. District Court Judge Ann Aiken sentenced Michael Ray Emry, 55, to 30 months in federal prison and three years of supervised release, according to a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office. Emry pleaded guilty to unlawfully possessing a fully automatic machine gun that was not registered to him Jan. 23.

Emry had been residing at the Grant County Fairgrounds and RV Park and was arrested by FBI agents in May 2016.

According to court documents and statements made in court, on May 6, 2016, federal agents executed a search warrant on Emry’s trailer in John Day and recovered a Browning M2 .50-caliber machine gun with an obliterated serial number. Emry told agents that the firearm was fully automatic and could fire 550-650 rounds per minute, that he had stolen it from a man in Idaho and that he had removed the serial number prior to bringing it to Oregon.

“I applaud federal and state law enforcement officers for their swift and decisive action in removing a very dangerous stolen weapon from the community,” United States Attorney Billy J. Williams said in the release. “Transporting stolen weapons is a serious crime and will be met with equally serious consequences.”

Prosecutors said Emry was in negotiations to sell the machine gun in Oregon to a person he had been told was a felon and the captain of a Texas militia group, who was actually an undercover law enforcement officer. They said Emry also possessed a belt of blank .50-caliber shells for the gun and the blasting cap, which is a detonator for a bomb.

According to an article on The Voice of Idaho News website, Emry was the proprietor of that organization, as well as The Voice of North Idaho and The Voice of Grant County, Oregon.

The case was investigated by the FBI in collaboration with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and Oregon State Police, and was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Oregon Nathan J. Lichvarcik.

“I appreciate the partnership with ATF and OSP in this investigation,” said Loren Cannon, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI in Oregon, in the release. “The people’s representatives pass laws to keep our communities safe. Mr. Emry broke those laws and as a consequence, he will spend time in federal prison.”


Share and Discuss


User Comments