Grant County is seeking a new veteran service officer.
Funding for the position has almost doubled, and the Grant County Court plans to increase the position from 20 hours to 30 hours a week, the commissioners said at the July 26 meeting. The increase in funds comes from Measure 96, an initiative approved by Oregonians in the November 2016 election, which gives 1.5 percent of lottery funds to veteran services.
In the interim, Harney County Veteran Services Officer Guy McKay has been filling in. Former service officer Jeff Wilcox left the position roughly a month and a half ago, Grant County Judge Scott Myers said.
Also at the meeting, Malheur National Forest Supervisor Steve Beverlin presented on the upcoming travel management plan for the Malheur National Forest. Beverlin urged those in attendance to notify the Forest Service of dispersed campsites and other locations accessable by road that are important to them so the agency can be aware of them when creating the travel management plan.
During the meeting, the court briefly discussed the merits of selling Community Counseling Solutions, the building they are currently renting at 528 E. Main St., John Day. The building is aging, and the county leases it to CCS for $15,000 a year.
The court also:
• approved a union contract between the Grant County Road Department and the Operating Engineers Local 701.
• approved an intergovernmental grant agreement between the Oregon Health Authority and the county to help finance public health.
• approved an order from the Assessor’s Office to designate the Blue Mountain Eagle as the newspaper of record.
• approved a property access permit for the Watermaster’s Office to drill and install gauges on a bridge on the South Fork Road.
• approved a request from Shannon Springer to allow the Grant County Youth Livestock Auction Committee to use the Planning Department’s printer.
• extended the expiration date of the agreement for financing of community disability development services.
• approved budget transfers for the county treasurer.
• approved a request from the fairgrounds to purchase a shade tent.
• paid dues to the Eastern Oregon Counties Association for 2017-18.