Jeanne Damon, 88, formerly of Grant County, passed away Feb. 27, 2017, in Klamath Falls after suffering a stroke.
Damon was born LuJeanne Marie Schmidt in Salem, South Dakota, on Aug. 25, 1928. She grew up in Salem, attended secretarial college and spent many years working for various businesses as a secretary. She moved to Klamath Falls with her family in 1954 and spent the rest of her life in Oregon, residing in Yoncalla, Mt. Vernon, John Day, Redmond and finally moving back to Klamath Falls in 2015.
Damon was a quietly dynamic person who loved being with family, spending time with friends and making new friends. She traveled extensively in the states, attending many Elks state conventions with her husband at the time, Elks Exalted Ruler Jim Damon. She also attended many Elks National Conventions. The friends she made throughout the Elks were cherished, and she often spoke of them. She also made many trips overseas, with Africa being one of her favorite destinations. In recent years, she spent time with her close friends from John Day and Redmond and with family members at various Worldmark properties.
Damon’s other great love was planting trees, shrubs and flowers and tending her yard. She took great pride in her gardening.
She is survived by her son and his wife, Ken and Vicki Goswick; her daughter and husband, Barbara and Kirk Johnson; four grandchildren; and several cousins, nieces and nephews.
Damon loved the Lord and served actively within her church in Redmond before moving to Klamath Falls. She generously supported her church and other Christian organizations, and many other charities. She was especially supportive of the Elks Children’s Eye Clinic. Contributions in her name can be directed to either the OHSU Casey Eye Institute or the Macular Degeneration Center at the OHSU Foundation at 1121 SW Salmon St., Suite 100, Portland, OR 97205; or Samaritans Purse, PO Box 3000, Boone, NC 28607; or World Vision, PO Box 9716, Federal Way, WA 98063.
A memorial service will be at noon March 21 at Klamath Christian Center, 6100 Church Hill Drive, Klamath Falls. Davenport’s Chapel of the Good Shepherd, directors, now located at 2680 Memorial Drive, Klamath Falls, OR 97601, 541-883-3458, is in charge of the arrangements.