Consumers Digest ranks EOU second in nation for best value
LA GRANDE - Students at Eastern Oregon University can rest assured they are receiving the best value for their tuition dollar according to a recent Consumers Digest report.
On June 1, Consumers Digest listed EOU as the second-best public university in the United States. Consumers Digest used a formula focusing on academic excellence of incoming freshman by using standardized test scores, high-school rank and grade point average, and the educational quality offered by each institution by looking at student-to-faculty ratio, graduation rate, and percentage of faculty holding a PhD or terminal degree.
These numbers determine a value index score for each institution.
The value index scores were then compared to the estimated student costs in tuition, required fees and average room and board. Not having out-of-state tuition also helped EOU considerably, according to the report. Eastern's 2003-04 annual tuition for both in- and out-of-state students was $4,426.
"We're very pleased to be nationally ranked by national publication like Consumers Digest," said Tim Seydel, EOU spokesperson and assistant vice president for university advancement. "Competing successfully with national research institutions like Florida International University and California Polytechnic State places EOU in the forefront of regional universities."
Top schools by value
The top 10 public universities in Consumers Digest include:
1. Florida International University, Miami, Fla. ($8,151 for annual tuition and room and board, 95.4 value index)
2. Eastern Oregon University, La Grande, Ore. ($10,080 and 93.5)
3. California Polytechnic State, San Luis Obispo, Calif. ($12,628 and 96.9)
4. North Dakota State University, Fargo, N.D. ($12,531 and 94.4)
5. North Georgia College & State, Dahlonega, Ga. ($12,640 and 94.3)
6. Utah State University, Logan, Utah ($12,876 and 94.4)
7. University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Fla. ($13,268 and 94.6)
8. Truman State University, Kirksville, Mo. ($13,528 and 96.0)
9. Southern Utah University, Cedar City, Utah ($13,558 and 93.9)
10. University of Mississippi, Oxford, Miss. ($14,026 and 95.1)
The top 50 public university/college rankings and top 25 private university/college rankings can be found online in Consumers Digest's report at http://www. consumersdigest.com/images/CollegeValues.pdf. CollegeBoard.com's information on EOU can be found at http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?collegeId=1989.
Eastern Oregon University, ranked number two in the nation as a "Best Value for Public Colleges and Universities" by Consumer's Digest magazine, offers exceptional faculty, personal attention and attractive facilities in a remarkable setting in La Grande, Oregon and at 16 distance learning centers throughout the state. At EOU, students engage in undergraduate research, internships and cooperative opportunities, international experiences and community service for today's global society. EOU is a student-centered campus, measuring its success by the achievements of its students.