Granite was settled on July 4, 1862, after prospector Albert G. Tabor discovered gold along Granite Creek. He originally named his claim Independence, which was the first name the miners gave the new town. However the name was changed to Granite when it was learned that another Independence already existed in Polk County.
The new settlement applied for a post office in 1874, and Tabor, the only merchant in town, was named the first postmaster. Granite was incorporated in 1900.
At the height of the gold rush, Granite had a population of about 5,000. Today its one of the smallest active incorporated communities in Oregon.
Granite sits at 4,660 feet elevation, in the northeastern corner of Grant County, about 15 miles northwest of Sumpter, on County Road 73. The Outback, a general merchandise store offers groceries, outdoor gear, a restaurant and fuel.
Nearby attractions include Olive Lake, which offers numerous types of recreation activities, and the historic Fremont Powerhouse, built in 1908 to provide electrical power for the area. The powerhouse has a caretakers cabin available for rent. For more information on the cabin rental, visit www.fs.usda.gov.