This recipe is a family favorite from Todd Wilbur's book "Top Secret Restaurant Recipes." This cornbread has a cake-like texture, and tastes great with or without the honey butter. Sometimes our family enjoys having this cornbread with chili.
1 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
3/4 C. cornmeal
2 Teas. baking powder
1/3 C. sugar
3/4 Teas. salt
1 1/4 C. whole milk
1/4 C. shortening
1/2 C. (1 stick) butter, softened
1/3 C. honey
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Add the milk, shortening and egg and mix only until all the ingredients are well combined.
4. Pour batter into a greased 8X8-inch pan.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let the cornbread cool slightly before slicing it with a sharp knife into 9 pieces.
6. For the honey butter, use a mixer on high speed to whip the butter and honey together until smooth and fluffy.