A man who was stabbed in the head during a fight at a Grants Pass bar Saturday night has died, and his alleged assailant is in custody on suspicion of murder.

Michael McCoy, 25, died Monday at a Portland hospital, roughly 36 hours after the fight at the Red Rock Lounge, 112 N.E. Morgan Lane, according to Grants Pass police.

The stabber fled, but a special weapons team arrested a suspect late Sunday near Selma.

The suspect, Britt J. Bones, 39, of Selma, is charged with attempted murder, although Grants Pass police said in a news release that a murder charge is pending with the Josephine County District Attorney's Office.

Interim Deputy Chief Jim Hamilton said police responded to the bar at 11:36 p.m. Saturday in response to reports of a disturbance.

"Officers arrived on scene and learned a fight had occurred involving two males," Hamilton said. "One male had fled the scene, the other was wounded."

McCoy was taken to Three Rivers Medical Center and eventually to Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, where he died about 11:30 a.m. Monday.

Officers searched the area of the bar using a police dog, in an effort to track the stabber. The suspect was not arrested until late Sunday, after detectives working the case obtained a search warrant for a home in the 300 block of Warren Road in the Selma area.

The police department's special weapons team was joined by patrol officers, police dog units, detectives, a negotiator team and Oregon State Police troopers to search the property.

"Several buildings on the property were checked for the suspect by SWAT and K9 units," Hamilton said in a news release. "The suspect was eventually located hiding on the property and taken into custody without incident."

Bones was arraigned Monday afternoon in Josephine County Circuit Court, where he was ordered held on $1 million bail. He was assigned a court-appointed attorney.

According to a police affidavit filed with the court, Bones stabbed McCoy in the area of the left temple. Even before his death, surgeons at OHSU described his injuries as non-survivable and reported that McCoy's brain activity was very slight, according to the affidavit.

No motive for the stabbing was reported by police, who have referred further inquiries to prosecutor's office, which has a policy of not discussing cases at this stage.

Bones also was held for failing to appear in court in a local DUII case from 2008. In addition, he was wanted in Jackson County on a money-laundering charge and in Nebraska on a charge of attempted delivery of a controlled substance. According to a court filing, Bones has lived in Selma for two years and has been unemployed for six years.

Anyone who may have seen the fight is asked to call police, at 541-450-6260.

Reach reporter Shaun Hall at 541-474-3813 or shall@thedailycourier.com

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.