SALEM – With April 15 drawing near, state tax officials are urging people to make sure any professional tax preparer they use is licensed.

JoAnn Martin, administrator of Oregon’s Personal Tax and Compliance Division, also recommends checking the credentials of the person you hire to do your taxes.

In Oregon, anyone you pay to prepare your tax returns must be licensed.

“If you hire an unlicensed preparer, there’s a real risk that they’ll make potentially costly mistakes on your return,” Martin said.

No matter who does your taxes – a licensed tax professional, an unlicensed tax preparer, you, a relative, or a friend – she also recommends checking your return thoroughly before it’s submitted.

“Ultimately, you’re responsible for the accuracy of your return. It’s up to you to check what’s on it before it’s sent,” she said.

The following websites can help consumers check licensing in Oregon:

• Tax preparers:

• Certified public accountants:

Report unlicensed tax preparers to the Board of Tax Practitioners.

People can visit to get tax information, check the status of a refund, or make payments. Or send questions to; call 503-378-4988 in Salem and outside Oregon; or call, toll-free, 800-356-4222.

The department receives a lot of phone calls during tax season so there may be long wait times.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.